The Riots in Context: Intellectual and Political Agendas
November 8, 2011, 3-5pm, University Place 5.210.
The Research Institute for Cosmopolitan Cultures is organising a seminar to discuss the recent riots in cities in the UK. Members from RICC will give introductions to a series of short readings by academics, journalists and bloggers, and a general discussion will follow. Please join us to discuss the varied responses to the riots from the UK and abroad, and to examine what can be gained from putting these perspectives in dialogue. Readings can be found on the RICC website and pasted below. Please read ahead of time if possible.
Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patrick O’Shea will introduce Sivamohan Valluvan’s “Behind the Manchester riots: ‘they are saying we have nothing‘”
- Sivamohan Valluvan will introduce David Harvey’s “Feral Capitalism Hits the Streets“
- Felicia Chan will introduce Paul Gilroy’s “Paul Gilroy Speaks on the Riots“
- Jackie Stacey will introduce Slavoj Zizek’s “Shoplifters of the World Unite“
- Rachel Wilde will introduce Matt Wilde’s “On the Riots and the Need for a New Commons“
- Atreyee Sen will introduce Rudrangshu Mukherjee’s “Beyond the Pale: The Violence in England Could Have Stemmed from Despair“
- Madeleine Reeves will introduce Laurie Penny’s “Panic on the Streets of London“